Thursday, November 6, 2008

Squirrels Smoking Cigars


Squirrels On Nicotine

It may cause you to wonder. What do I do at my internship. What does a intern, such as "I, Lauren Christensen" do on a daily basis? Well before I tell you this, here is one thing that I have learned, and you as readers must realize. DC people can get away with anything. Not only are they 92% for Obama but also they can smoke anywhere that they please. For example the Congressman that I work for, Congressman Rob Bishop, The Big Cheese, The head

Enchilada told us interns that, "Congressmen and women alike will join together in the great grey Capital of our nation, and ruin their lungs. They will smoke cigars, cigarettes, chew tobacco, and anything to their pleasure. They will eat plenty of eggs, making their cholesterol sky rocket to be higher then that of the rotunda. This is how our nation was/is formed." Well at least, it was something of that nature that I remember like that.

Yesterday, or my point of today's blog is that today I saw a congressman feeding a squirrel a cigar. A LITERAL CIGAR! It was super funny. The congressman (name shall remain anonymous) was affectionately stroking this squirrel like his own kid, and like a cartoon. . . the squirrel would suck a cigar. I AM NOT KIDDING! Literally smoking a cigar. CRAZY huh!

But back to what I do:

1) I get to hang out with the other righteous interns of the office! Like Sarabeara, and Righteous Red!

2) I am hear to learn! LEARN! I have learned about our legislative system, judicial system, and loads of information.

3) I am able to give tours. One, thing that is sad is that starting December 2, 2008 some of our our nations beauty will be hidden from the public. It is a sad, sad fact. However, I love learning cool facts. For example George Washington couldn't be buried at the capital not only because it said so in his will, but because of separation of powers. I also get to know really, really, cool people.

4) I get to sort mail. This is a very important job, because I get to be the first person in my office to get anthrax.

5) I get to press the print button for faxes. Very important. These faxes tell the people in the office what is going to happen in things such as briefing, hearings, or spam mail talking about integration.

6) I am allowed to go to briefings or hearings for others.

7) I am allowed to turn on the lights in the mornings, and have a key.

8) I get to get supplies. Here is how it works. I walk to the Longworth Building in which I go to a place that looks like Staples and then collect my supplies and meet a man named Carlos. Because my supervisor loves me SO much. I then carry perhaps 40 pounds worth of supplies back to the office.

9) I write letters for constituents about important issues. I love doing this because I am allowed to do research about the topics that I am interested in (and some that I am not), and background.

10) I get to do research on upcoming bills.



Overall I believe that Washington DC is amazing. I love the sites, and the gorgeous sun sets. The sites are amazing. Every night as I am walking back from the Barlow Center I get to see the beautiful sites of DC. Whether that be sunset, or something else that is cool. In the end it is amazing.



1 comment:

Emily said...

so i am so glad that i found your blog on amy's wall. it makes me happy. that's so crazy that squirrels can chew tobacco...or...something! and i hope you don't get anthrax; that would be sad.